Benefits of O3-CIP™
The benefits of O3-CIP to your business and our environment are multifaceted and immense. It can improve the efficacy and efficiency of your plant sanitization systems. And it can save time, energy and water, and hence dramatically reduce your overhead costs because of the following benefits:
– reduction of time for cleaning cycles
– reduction of energy use without the need for hot water
– reduction of water use through recycling and fewer rinses
Conventional CIP can be costly, requiring elevated temperatures and chemical detergents, which are often required for complete effectiveness. As a result, significant amounts of energy, water and chemicals are consumed in the traditional CIP processes.
Ozone, being a highly powerful oxidant, works well at ambient temperatures and does not require rinsing. Conventional high-temperature CIP processes, however, use massive amounts of energy and require significant time to ramp up. That temperature has to be held for a considerable time to ensure disinfection. At the end of the process, this method is then cooled down with rinse water. In addition, conventional chemical sanitizing requires chemicals to be mixed with water and re-circulated through the system repeatedly to ensure disinfection. This chemical-laden water is then dumped as wastewater, which causes environmental issues. And to top complete this process, the system has to be further and thoroughly rinsed with a large amount of water.
Ozonated water can replace hot water as well as chemical sanitizers like chlorinated sanitizers and peracetic acid. It does not require cooling and requires far less rinsing than conventional CIP sanitizing protocols.
- Ozone-injected water simultaneously rinses and sanitizes the CIP loop and can be quickly decomposed with UV radiation at 264nm.
- Fewer rinse steps reduce water usage by up to 40% and chemical requirements
- Opportunity to reclaim sanitizing and rinse water for pre-cleaning cycles
- Purifies and conditions low-quality source water
- Annual plant energy savings: $72,000
- Saves energy and reduces carbon footprint
- Hot water and steam use successfully eliminated
- Less boiler infrastructure; boiler systems require high maintenance
- Wastewater treatment load and costs reduced
- Annual plant chemical savings: $290,000
- Reduces chemical usage and disposal
- Reduces chemical storage risk (ozone is generated on demand)
- Time savings depends on soil level and protocol used
- Faster turn-around results in higher productivity
Plant output increased: Allows 500,000 additional cases of product to be made annually
Invest cost recovered (break even in less than 12-18 months)
**The results shown in these illustrations were obtained from pilot studies of an O3-CIP™ system in a multi–product beverage processing/bottling plant.